Welcome to Moses Lake, a picturesque city nestled in the heart of Washington State.
Whether you’re a nature lover, an adventure seeker, or someone looking for family-friendly activities, Moses Lake has something to offer for everyone.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll take you on a tour of 25 exciting things to do in Moses Lake, showcasing the city’s diverse attractions and ensuring you have an unforgettable visit.
Paddleboarding on Moses Lake
Discover the tranquility of Moses Lake while paddleboarding on its serene waters. Rent paddleboards and glide across the lake, soaking in the breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape.
Fishing at Blue Heron Park
For anglers, Blue Heron Park offers abundant fishing opportunities. Cast your line and relax in the park’s peaceful and picturesque setting.
Hiking at Sand Dunes State Park
Explore the unique geological formations at Sand Dunes State Park. Hike through the sandy terrain and capture stunning photos amidst nature’s beauty.
Water Sports and Recreation
Jet Skiing on Moses Lake
Experience an adrenaline rush while jet skiing on Moses Lake. Rent jet skis and enjoy an exciting way to explore the vastness of the lake.
Sailing and Boating at Cascade Marina
Set sail or rent boats at Cascade Marina for a leisurely lake experience. Enjoy picnics and water activities with family and friends.
Windsurfing at Blue Heron Park
Embrace the challenge of windsurfing with strong, consistent winds at Blue Heron Park. Perfect for adventure seekers and water sports enthusiasts.
Surf ‘n Slide Water Park
Make a splash at Surf ‘n Slide Water Park, featuring thrilling water slides and splash pads for all ages. It’s the perfect destination for family outings on sunny days.
Moses Lake Museum & Art Center
Explore the city’s history and art at the Moses Lake Museum & Art Center. Engage in educational programs and workshops for a fun and enriching experience.
Take your kids to Larson Playfield, where they can enjoy playgrounds and run around in the open green spaces. Pack a picnic and spend quality family time together.
Cultural and Historical Experiences
Grant County Historical Museum
Delve into the region’s past at the Grant County Historical Museum. Discover exhibits and artifacts that highlight the area’s Native American heritage and pioneer history.
Japanese Peace Garden
Find tranquility at the Japanese Peace Garden, a beautifully landscaped garden reflecting the connection between Moses Lake and Japan.
Moses Coulee Preserve
Witness the unique geological formation of coulees at Moses Coulee Preserve. Explore hiking trails and enjoy the area’s scenic views.
Moses Lake Golf Club
Tee off at Moses Lake Golf Club, featuring a challenging 18-hole golf course with a beautiful backdrop. Relax at the clubhouse after a rewarding game.
Local Events and Festivals
Moses Lake Spring Festival and Fair
Experience a lively celebration at the Moses Lake Spring Festival and Fair, featuring carnival rides, shows, local food, and live entertainment for all ages.
Moses Lake Airshow
Marvel at spectacular aerobatic performances and vintage aircraft at the Moses Lake Airshow, a family-friendly event with activities for everyone.
Shopping and Dining
Downtown Moses Lake Shopping
Explore local shops, boutiques, and antique stores in Downtown Moses Lake. Find unique souvenirs and gifts to take home.
Diverse Dining Options
Savor a variety of cuisines, from classic American dishes to international delicacies, and enjoy waterfront dining with scenic lake views.
Sunbathing and Relaxation
Unwind on sandy beaches and take a refreshing swim in designated areas at Connelly Park. It’s the perfect spot for sunbathing and picnicking.
Enjoy shaded areas and relax in the tranquil atmosphere of McCosh Park. Take leisurely walks along the lakefront and soak in the peaceful surroundings.
Potholes State Park
Observe diverse bird species in their natural habitat at Potholes State Park. Bring binoculars for a rewarding birdwatching experience.
Participate in Geocaching Adventures
Combine exploration with treasure hunting by participating in geocaching adventures around Moses Lake. Use GPS coordinates to find hidden caches and have fun exploring.
Find Dark Sky Spots
Identify ideal stargazing locations away from city lights to witness breathtaking celestial displays in the night sky.
Concerts and Live Performances
Grant County Fairgrounds
Attend concerts, rodeos, and live performances at the Grant County Fairgrounds. Check the event schedule for upcoming shows and events.
Visit Moses Lake Drive-In Theatre
Experience a nostalgic outdoor movie night at the Moses Lake Drive-In Theatre. Enjoy double features and classic films under the stars.
Sand Dunes Off-Road Vehicle Area
Venture into sandy terrain and experience off-roading adventures at the Sand Dunes Off-Road Vehicle Area. It’s a thrilling experience for off-road enthusiasts.
Travel to Sun Lakes-Dry Falls State Park
Embark on a day trip to Sun Lakes-Dry Falls State Park and witness ancient dry falls and unique geological formations. Enjoy hiking, birdwatching, and interpretive programs.
Experience Waterfowl Hunting in Season
For licensed hunters, partake in waterfowl hunting activities during the hunting season in designated areas. Adhere to state regulations and guidelines.
Tennis and Pickleball
Play at Local Courts
Engage in friendly matches with friends and locals at the city’s tennis and pickleball courts. Enjoy recreational sports amidst Moses Lake’s beauty.
Snowmobiling (Winter Season)
Explore Snowmobile Trails
Venture into snowy landscapes during the winter season and enjoy snowmobiling adventures on designated trails. Rent snowmobiles and experience winter sports.
Historical Tour of Old Ephrata
Visit the Nearby Town of Ephrata
Take a historical tour of Ephrata’s downtown district, explore charming shops, and learn about local history and culture.
Take a Scenic Flight Tour
Experience the beauty of Moses Lake from the sky with a scenic flight tour. Enjoy stunning aerial views and unique perspectives of the city.
Capture Moses Lake’s Beauty
Photograph scenic landscapes and wildlife around Moses Lake, and share your picturesque moments with friends and family.
Visit Columbia National Wildlife Refuge
Experience Wildlife and Nature
Explore diverse habitats and wildlife viewing areas at Columbia National Wildlife Refuge. Enjoy hiking and photography in this serene and natural setting.
Visit Moses Lake Aquatic Center
Enjoy Indoor Swimming and Recreation
Visit the Moses Lake Aquatic Center and have fun at the indoor pool and waterslides. Engage in various aquatic activities and fitness classes for a refreshing experience.
What is Moses Lake, Washington Known For?
Moses Lake, Washington, is known for several key attributes that make it a popular destination for both residents and visitors:
- Moses Lake: The city is named after the expansive natural lake, Moses Lake, which spans approximately 6,800 acres. The lake is a focal point for outdoor activities and water sports, attracting tourists throughout the year.
- Outdoor Recreation: Moses Lake is renowned for its wide range of outdoor recreational opportunities. From fishing and boating to paddleboarding and hiking, the city offers a myriad of activities for nature enthusiasts.
- Water Sports: The warm waters of Moses Lake make it an ideal spot for water sports like jet skiing, windsurfing, and sailing. Its consistent winds also attract windsurfers from around the region.
- Family-Friendly Atmosphere: Moses Lake is known for its welcoming and family-friendly atmosphere. Numerous parks, playgrounds, and community events cater to families and promote a strong sense of community.
- Aviation Hub: The Grant County International Airport, located in Moses Lake, serves as a vital aviation hub. It is home to various aviation industries, including Boeing’s aircraft testing facility.
What Does Moses Lake Have?
Moses Lake boasts an array of attractions and amenities that cater to diverse interests:
- Moses Lake: The city’s namesake lake offers abundant opportunities for fishing, boating, paddleboarding, and other water sports.
- Outdoor Recreation: Numerous parks, such as Blue Heron Park and Sand Dunes State Park, provide spaces for hiking, picnicking, and wildlife observation.
- Water Parks: Surf ‘n Slide Water Park and Moses Lake Aquatic Center offer thrilling water slides and aquatic activities for families.
- Cultural and Historical Sites: Museums, like the Moses Lake Museum & Art Center and Grant County Historical Museum, showcase the area’s rich history and local art.
- Community Events: The city hosts various events and festivals, including the Moses Lake Spring Festival and Fair, which bring the community together for fun and entertainment.
- Sports and Entertainment: Moses Lake Golf Club offers a challenging golf course, and the Grant County Fairgrounds hosts concerts, rodeos, and live performances.
What Are Some Fun Facts About Moses Lake?
- Man-Made Lake: Despite its natural-sounding name, Moses Lake is actually a man-made reservoir, created in the 1930s for irrigation and agricultural purposes.
- Agricultural Heritage: Moses Lake has a rich agricultural heritage, and the surrounding region is known for its potato, grain, and hay production.
- Flight Testing Center: The nearby Grant County International Airport is home to Boeing’s Flight Test & Evaluation Center, where the company conducts important aircraft testing.
- Japanese Peace Garden: Moses Lake is home to the Japanese Peace Garden, a serene and beautiful garden symbolizing the friendship between Moses Lake and its sister city, Yonezawa, Japan.
- Municipal Airport History: The Grant County International Airport was once known as the Larson Air Force Base and played a significant role in World War II as a training facility for bomber pilots.
How Deep is Moses Lake?
Moses Lake has an average depth of about 18 feet (approximately 5.5 meters). However, its depth can vary depending on the water levels and seasonal conditions. The lake’s relatively shallow depth contributes to its warm waters, making it an inviting destination for water activities and recreation throughout the year.
Moses Lake is a haven of recreational opportunities, cultural experiences, and family-friendly fun. From thrilling water sports and outdoor adventures to historical and educational experiences, there’s something for everyone in this vibrant city. Whether you’re a local or a visitor, Moses Lake guarantees a memorable and enjoyable stay. So pack your bags, grab your sense of adventure, and explore the wonders of Moses Lake!